The Legacy Issue
No. 18, spring 2021
When we say this issue digs deep, we mean to the marrow. These stories pluck at the spider silk of lineage and connection. They tease out the tensions between family portraits, reject bitter histories, and practice remembrance in the face of loss. They unearth a terrible and lovely inheritance of the human condition: we are not alone. What echoes do our choices project into the world? What echoes buffet us from the past? This unruly archive reveals, with bone-cutting intimacy, what—for better or for worse—binds us to one another.
Cut your teeth on our Pioneering Writer Feature with Silvia Moreno-Garcia, author of the richly subversive and bestselling Mexican Gothic, as well as a never-before-seen excerpt of her upcoming novel Velvet Was the Night. For fiction, check out William Pei Shih’s familial drama “My Son” and Valerie San Filippo’s micro-gothic flash, “Housekeeper.” For poetry, stick close to the transformative pieces of our Community Feature with the Octavia Project and the lovely, devastatingly queer lyrics of Eric Tran. And don’t forget the graphic short story—you’ll find not one, but two gorgeous comics in these pages.
When we say legacy, we mean ancestry, contemporaneity, futurity. We mean our roots are just the beginning. We mean pluck the threads of this issue with us, and see where its ripples lead you.
- We may split large print orders into multiple packages. We are not responsible for any import tax you may be charged to receive your order.
- All print orders also include access to a digital download of the issue too.
- Digital Downloads will be made available as a PDF file immediately upon purchase via an email with a downloadable link—so please ensure you enter your email address correctly. You will have 30 days to download the file.
All proceeds support our nonprofit mission to change lives through the power of storytelling! For more information about our parent nonprofit, please visit BrinkLit.org.
In this issue:
- Editor’s Note, Words By Dani Hedlund, Art By Zach Meyer
- Blanked from History, Words By Gerald (Gerry) Malone, Art By Bradley Clayton
- In Silence, Words By Jason McCormick, Art By Carly A-F
- Housekeeper, Words By Valerie San Filippo, Art By Bradley Clayton
- United We Can, Words By Bessie Flores Zaldívar, Art By Ejiwa Ebenebe
- Cursed, Art & Words By Samantha Dow
- First Cry, Words By Seth Z. Herman, Art By Hailey Renee Brown
- Footprints Ahead: A Community Feature with the Octavia Project, Words By Ashia Islam and Naomi Rae, Art By Tyler Champion
- Old Man Miller, Words By Dorian Karahalios, Art By Daniel Reneau
- Towels, Words By Laura Herbst, Art By Enrica Angiolini
- Grief is the Bird, Words By Samantha Jean Coxall, Art By Julian Mateus
- Kangaroo, Words By Henry Goeldner, Art By Tyler Champion
- The Love Song of the Mexican Free-Tailed Bat, Words By Gina Chung, Art By Daniel Reneau
- Breaking Through Borders: A Pioneering Writer Feature with Silvia Moreno-Garcia, Words By Silvia Moreno-Garcia, Art By Hailey Renee Brown
- My Son, Words By William Pei Shih, Art By Noel Hill
- Three Poems, Words By Eric Tran, Art By Arthur Asa
- The Women, Words By Margaret Jameson, Art By Samantha Dow