The Memory Issue
No. 17, winter 2020
How do you measure memory? By its expanse? Its absence? Its hexadecimal shade?
The thing about magazine publishing is that when you yell about brain chemistry, the neurons and synapses of a whole community of writers yell back. So welcome to F(r)iction #17: lightbulb moments, faulty movie reels; reconstructing with bias and borrowed details; porous pockets, the frayed edges of film; soft animal bodies and how time passes through them.
Our most cerebral and evocative issue yet features deathbed reflections from Shaindel Beers, gravity-defying reminiscences from Stephen Graham Jones, field notes on living inside your body from Emma Bolden, lush memento mori from Laura Da’, and the breathless recollections of our community partner, Words Without Walls. Be sure not to miss Sid Quade’s graphic short story on the eldritch horror of never letting go, as well as an exclusive pop science feature breaking down the history of memory in media.
We’d say this issue is unforgettable, but we’ll let you be the judge of that one.
- We may split large print orders into multiple packages. We are not responsible for any import tax you may be charged to receive your order.
- All print orders also include access to a digital download of the issue too.
- Digital Downloads will be made available as a PDF file immediately upon purchase via an email with a downloadable link—so please ensure you enter your email address correctly. You will have 30 days to download the file.
All proceeds support our nonprofit mission to change lives through the power of storytelling! For more information about our parent nonprofit, please visit BrinkLit.org.
In this issue:
- Editor’s Note, Words By Dani Hedlund, Art By Samantha Dow
- Memory: The Hollywood Adaptation, Words By Karen Brissette, Art By Samantha Dow
- Smells of Home, Words By Claudia Mahler, Art By Ejiwa Ebenebe
- Two Poems, Words By Emma Bolden, Art By Hailey Renee Brown
- Death Is A Comma, Words By Michael Harris Cohen, Art By Bradley Clayton
- The Circus Train, Words By Lauren Green, Art By Noel Hill
- Towers, Words By James Craig Hartz Jr., Art By Samantha Dow
- What’s What, Words By Benjamin Woodard, Art By Bradley Clayton
- Post-Fletcher, Words By Colin Fleming, Art By Noel Hill
- Memory: The Director’s Cut, Words By Karen Brissette, Art By Samantha Dow
- So This Is What It’s Like, Words By Stephen Graham Jones, Art By Enrica Angiolini
- An Abecedarian of Loss, Words By Sherry Shahan, Art By Daniel Reneau
- The Grey Beast, Art & Words By Sid Quade
- Aparna, Words By Sachin Waikar, Art By Enrica Angiolini
- Synapses and Streams: A Feature with Words Without Walls, Words By Janette Schafer, Vivian Lee Croft, Holly Spencer, Melanie P. Solomon, Art By Tyler Champion
- Seven Times Maria Van Zandt Felt Beautiful, Words By Shaindel Beers, Art By Hailey Renee Brown
- The Mourning Club, Words By Lenk, Art By Ejiwa Ebenebe
- The Only Magic, Words By Tara Isabel Zambrano, Art By Julian Mateus
- Watch Face, Words By Laura Da’, Art By Hailey Renee Brown
- Convergence, Words By Adam Byko, Art By Daniel Reneau