The Uprising Issue
No. 10, spring 2018
This issue is for the restless, the disenchanted, the indignant—those fueled by stamina and survival instincts, breathlessly transcendent with reckoning. As always, we’re bringing you our regularly scheduled weirdness: fatal grand piano expeditions, physics-shattering deep space cylinders, ball pits teeming with rats. But interwoven among these are subtler stories too, deceptive in their apparent mundanity. Whether far out or close to home, the tales of the Uprising Issue face the vulnerable and difficult parts of life head on.
F(r)iction #10’s Pioneering Writer Feature catches up with prolific, internationally-bestselling humorist Christopher Moore, combining interview, fieldnotes, and an excerpt of his novel-in-progress Midsummer. Our Debut Author, ghostwriter-turned-thriller-writer Aimee Molloy, talks plot and shop about The Perfect Mother and its film adaptation with Kerry Washington. For poetry, look no further than the lyricisms of Alasdair Gray, Erika Luckert, and Sheila O’Connor. For comics, clutch your scarf close for Jonas Goonface’s chilling “Snow Brigade.” We are also honored to posthumously publish Naira Kuzmich’s “Memory, Longhand,” an essay grappling with language and belonging, as well as to feature highlights from the Afghan Women’s Writing Project, a collective fighting to tell their stories in a world that has denied them education and voice.
Heed these stories, with their chins jutted up. Cling to their resolve; let them lift you.
- We may split large print orders into multiple packages. We are not responsible for any import tax you may be charged to receive your order.
- All print orders also include access to a digital download of the issue too.
- Digital Downloads will be made available as a PDF file immediately upon purchase via an email with a downloadable link—so please ensure you enter your email address correctly. You will have 30 days to download the file.
All proceeds support our nonprofit mission to change lives through the power of storytelling! For more information about our parent nonprofit, please visit BrinkLit.org.
In this issue:
- Editor’s Note, Words By Dani Hedlund
- Ascending Notes, Words By Isaac Marion, Art By Michelle Lockamy
- Three Poems, Words By Erika Luckert, Art By Arthur Asa
- Memory, Longhand, Words By Naira Kuzmich, Art By Enrica Angiolini
- Humanitad, Art & Words By Alasdair Gray
- Umbrus, Words By Amman Sabet, Art By Alyssa Menold
- Breaking Ground: A Debut Author Feature with Aimee Molloy, Words By Aimee Molloy, Art By Daniel Reneau
- eden, Words By Alyssa Froehling, Art By Tyler Champion
- What’s Left When It Goes, Words By Erin Slaughter, Art By Brian Demers
- Snow Brigade, Art & Words By Jonas Goonface
- Letters from Afghanisation: A Feature from the Afghan Women’s Writing Project, Words By Afghan Women's Writing Project, Art By Brian Demers
- Once, a little blue frog told his mother no., Words By Joe Milan Jr., Art By Lilly Higgs
- For Tom, In Pieces, Words By Sheila O'Connor, Art By Arthur Asa
- The King of Fools: A Pioneering Writer Feature with Christopher Moore, Words By Christopher Moore, Art By Michelle Lockamy
- Three Poems, Words By Jerico Lenk, Art By Arthur Asa
- The Pit King, Words By Ryan Vance, Art By Ryan Gajda