The Resurrection Issue
No. 8, summer 2017
The Resurrection Issue breathes electrifying new life into an age-old human fascination. A skeleton describes his bones’ past lives to his human lover. A daughter watches her father carve his homunculus from the back of his head. A violinist becomes obsessed with a forgotten magnum opus but can’t escape the accompanying ghosts. From tender necromancy to secrets that just won’t stay buried, there’s something for everyone here on the chasm-edge of life and death.
F(r)iction #8features Bones creator Hart Hanson and his debut The Driver, a crime thriller in which a veteran-turned-limo-driver takes on reluctant bodyguard duties and the existential quandaries of trauma and survival in one fell swoop. Gunslingers, necromancy, and girlfriends are just the beginning for our excerpt of Livali Wyle’s comic “Goth Western.” And Mary Ruefle, Mercedes M. Yardley, and the members of the Veteran’s Writing Project all speak to the deep vulnerabilities of unearthed memory.
F(r)iction #8: The Resurrection Issue dances with death but make no mistake; stories of the dead always have a way of clambering back into the world of the living.
- We may split large print orders into multiple packages. We are not responsible for any import tax you may be charged to receive your order.
- All print orders also include access to a digital download of the issue too.
- Digital Downloads will be made available as a PDF file immediately upon purchase via an email with a downloadable link—so please ensure you enter your email address correctly. You will have 30 days to download the file.
All proceeds support our nonprofit mission to change lives through the power of storytelling! For more information about our parent nonprofit, please visit BrinkLit.org.
In this issue:
- Editor’s Note, Words By Dani Hedlund
- What Is There To Say, Words By Brandon Getz, Art By Daniel Reneau
- Three Poems, Words By Mary Ruefle, Art By Arthur Asa
- Quartet in D Minor, Opus 30: A Ghost Story, Words By Noah Weisz, Art By Michelle Lockamy
- Microchimerism, Words By Karen Whitelaw, Art By Enrica Angiolini
- Loving You Darkly, Words By Mercedes M. Yardley, Art By Brian Demers
- Unity Orders, Words By Kate Simonian, Art By Enrica Angiolini
- I am a Person, Words By Tim Cummings, Art By Ryan Gajda
- Blood Stripes, Words By Aaron Graham, Art By Brian Demers
- View from the Surface: Author Feature with Hart Hanson, Words By Hart Hanson, Art By Arthur Asa
- Mummies of the World Exhibit with my Young Children, Words By Alexandra Umlas, Art By Tyler Champion
- Shrapnel Shell: A Special Feature with the Veterans Writing Project, Words By Randy Brown, Nichole Goff, C.R. McCarthy, Michael McManus, Matthew Mobley, TJ Reynolds, Brandy Williams, Art By Tyler Champion
- Goth Western, Art & Words By Livali Wyle
- #BlinkTBL, Words By Anita Austin, Jason Graff, Urban Hellville, Aaron J. Housholder, Kenzie Huff and Amanda Myers, Art By Mowgli Olenason
- A Wake in Portside, Words By Paddy Reid, Art By Brian Demers
- Three Poems, Words By Karen Craigo, Art By Arthur Asa
- The Great Passing, Words By Matthew Higgins, Art By Daniel Reneau