The Comeback Issue
No. 13, spring 2019
F(r)iction’s thirteenth issue jumps back in the ring with all-new features and red-hot talent. In these pages, a circus performer who can reconfigure his body finds a new meaning to life in the gaze of a silent friend, Little Red Riding Hood takes on a bloodthirsty burden, and a woman learns a lesson from a vicious fish. Our Comeback Issue raises a glass to the underdogs and the southpaws, the survivors of all the punches this world can throw at us.
Our Pioneering Writer features the words and sixty-year career of award-winning industry legend Joyce Carol Oates, as well as a chapter from her 2019 novel My Life as a Rat. In our Debut Author Feature, you’ll find an interview with Emily A. Duncan, as well as her blood-drenched debut fairy tale Wicked Saints. For powerful expressions of identity and grit, look no further than our community feature with Words Without Walls; for beautiful art, dive into Sarah Winifred Searle’s comic “Afterworld,” in which three courageous animate toys venture into the lush, post-apocalyptic world just beyond their home.
The stories in this issue say it all: We’re here to stay and ready to go the distance.
- We may split large print orders into multiple packages. We are not responsible for any import tax you may be charged to receive your order.
- All print orders also include access to a digital download of the issue too.
- Digital Downloads will be made available as a PDF file immediately upon purchase via an email with a downloadable link—so please ensure you enter your email address correctly. You will have 30 days to download the file.
All proceeds support our nonprofit mission to change lives through the power of storytelling! For more information about our parent nonprofit, please visit BrinkLit.org.
In this issue:
- Editor’s Note, Words By Dani Hedlund
- Amorpho & The Leering Freak, Words By Jason Baltazar, Art By Daniel Reneau
- Three Poems, Words By Nick Flynn, Art By Arthur Asa
- How to Make a Peanut Butter and Jelly Sandwich, Words By Samantha Schmidt, Art By Brian Demers
- A Dog Ran Down the Highway, Words By Kim Chinquee, Art By Ejiwa Ebenebe
- The Reds, Words By Annie Neugebauer, Art By Enrica Angiolini
- Clean Slate, Words By Jason McCormick, Art By Enrica Angiolini
- A Window into Worlds Unfamiliar: A Pioneering Writer Feature with Joyce Carol Oates, Words By Joyce Carol Oates, Art By Ejiwa Ebenebe
- Diligence, Words By Patricia Horvath, Art By Kiyoung Kim
- Afterworld, Art & Words By Sarah Winifred Searle
- Women of Will: A Feature with Words Without Walls, Words By Leanne McLaughlin, Holly C. Spencer, Janette Schafer, and Barbara Grimm, Art By Tyler Champion
- Sushi, Words By Alexandra O'Neil, Art By Daniel Reneau
- Breaking Ground: A Debut Author Feature with Emily A. Duncan, Words By Emily A. Duncan, Art By Daniel Reneau
- Three Poems, Words By Alli Cruz, Art By Arthur Asa
- Snargleflox, Words By Vaughn Gaston, Art By Lilly Higgs