The Identity Issue
No. 15, spring 2020
Our spring issue puts identity—belief, belonging, being—under pressure. Some of its tales bellow, from the fashioning of turbulent planets to a plunging sinkhole in the heart of an animal town. Many of them whisper, their moments of resolve or transformation powerfully quiet: a tucked blanket, a hunger-rubbed belly, a car spotted briefly in the break between houses. It’s a sneaky geode of strange literature, asking only that the stories within crack open and hold their glittering halves to the light.
Lineage is no less real when untranslatable, as seen in this issue’s luminous comic “The Ghosts We Are and the Ghosts We Will Become” by Kiku Hughes. Identity transforms, traverses, and transports in the mesmerizing poetry of Kay Ulanday Barrett, Kelli Russell Agodon, and our gorgeous Community Feature with Lambda Literary. You won’t want to miss our interview with Kate Weinberg and the excerpt of her seductive, college coming-of-age thriller The Truants, nor our Pioneering Writer Feature starring the words, thoughts, and marginalia of award-winning speculative fiction author Charlie Jane Anders.
Moving and metamorphic, F(r)iction #15 reveals both the paths to our homecoming and to remaining lost.
- We may split large print orders into multiple packages. We are not responsible for any import tax you may be charged to receive your order.
- All print orders also include access to a digital download of the issue too.
- Digital Downloads will be made available as a PDF file immediately upon purchase via an email with a downloadable link—so please ensure you enter your email address correctly. You will have 30 days to download the file.
All proceeds support our nonprofit mission to change lives through the power of storytelling! For more information about our parent nonprofit, please visit BrinkLit.org.
In this issue:
- Editor’s Note, Words By Dani Hedlund
- Three Poems, Words By Kelli Russell Agodon, Art By Arthur Asa
- The Little Prince, Words By T. E. Wilderson, Art By Elliot Lang
- The Fairytale My Favorite Editor Rejected, Words By Alina Stefanescu, Art By Hailey Brown
- Fairgrounds: A Feature with Lambda Literary, Words By July Westhale, Wryly T. McCutchen, Jennifer Cox-Shah, Kenan Ince, JD Scott, Art By Hailey Brown
- Z28, Words By Scott Mashlan, Art By Julian Mateus
- Breaking Ground: A Debut Author Feature with Kate Weinberg, Words By Kate Weinberg, Art By Daniel Reneau
- Untitled Poem, Words By Peter Kirn, Art By Danny Neece
- A Novel Idea: A Pioneering Writer Feature with Charlie Jane Anders, Words By Charlie Jane Anders, Art By Ejiwa Ebenebe
- Three Poems, Words By Kay Ulanday Barrett, Art By Arthur Asa
- Matchstick 66, Words By Tex Gresham, Art By Brian Demers
- Tami Bell at College, Words By Sara Lippmann, Art By Enrica Angiolini
- The Art of Planet Building, Words By sydney khoo, Art By Alyssa Menold
- And All of Us Go Drowning in the Loam, Words By Andrew Hayes Williams, Art By Daniel Reneau
- the ghosts we are and the ghosts we will become, Art & Words By Kiku Hughes