May Literary Horoscopes
Words By Alyssa Jordan, Art By Joana Coccarelli
The Ram / Courageous, Adventurous, Independent / Domineering, Selfish, Arrogant
Believe it or not, May will be a transformative time for you. Put your adventurous spirit to use and connect with people through your sweet virtual setup. Join a Skype book club, try something new. Remember: Self-care isn’t selfish.
Speaking of self-care, check out your gorgeously written story pick for May:
- Becoming, by Han Clark
- Teaser: “So many times you left me at the roadside with my head-ringing in the light of the stars and the love of the moon tugging me along like the tide.”
The Bull / Loyal, Friendly, Resourceful / Self-Indulgent, Possessive, Greedy
Man, you’re on fire, Taurus! The stars were aligned in your favor last month, and May seems to be continuing the trend. You know what I say? Go crazy with it! Kick back and enjoy your month. For the foreseeable future, the stars are gloriously aligned in your favor.
Don’t forget your sublime story pick:
- The Vanishing Point, by Lara Ehrlich
- Teaser: “Diana constructs a torso with materials she’d used to design a durable exosuit for soldiers. She builds outward, adapting her S-shaped spine to the deer’s rolling curve.”
The Twins / Intelligent, Adaptable, Creative / Moody, Opportunistic, Inconsistent
It’s official: the butter-side down days have hit (I did warn you!). Expect some fallout in your professional life and a few partings in your personal life. Maybe adopt an “if you can’t beat them, join them” mentality?
It can’t hurt to distract yourself with this monthly read, too:
- Ever After, by Sarah Freligh
- Teaser: “Afterward, you’re still and opaque as the lake, a sad landscape I ache to row, imagine how each pull of the oars would leave a wake of holes but we’re running low on Cointreau.”
The Crab / Honest, Generous, Faithful / Insecure, Needy, Crabby
Last month might have been all about creative breakthroughs, but this month is the perfect time to focus on your family! Now, don’t groan—it’s not polite (I’m winking, if you can’t tell). Set aside some time for your loved ones. And no, a two-minute phone call doesn’t count.
Well, maybe it does a little.
- The Paper Son, by Bradley Sides
- Teaser: “The man gently tucks his paper son inside his shirt’s pocket. The man doesn’t button the flap, so it’s easier for him to look down inside the cotton crevice to see his paper son as he leaves the store.”
The Lion / Cheery, Noble, Imaginative / Demanding, Boastful, Melodramatic
May might be topsy-turvy for you, Leo. You’ll be an absolute pro when it comes to the three f’s: friends, family, and fabulousness. Work is another story, though. Your cheery nature will demand that you fix this—and you should—but remember to shake your gorgeous mane out, too.
First things first: Read this startling, vibrant story pick:
- I Know How I’ll Die, by Shemaiah Gonzalez
- Teaser: “It starts with a tinge under my skin. An itch begging to be scratched. I find my pulse there, contracting, growing. I dare not touch it.”
The Maiden / Practical, Diligent, Kind / Obsessive, Self-Righteous, Compulsive
Try not to rely on others too much during the second half of spring. You got to forge new friendships last month—kudos on the hot n’ heavy courting of the platonic/remote variety—but now is the time to look inward. Give your future some serious thought and think about where you’d like to be in five years.
After all that fun meditating, be sure to dip your toes in this gorgeous read.
- Regret: In Seasons, by Holly Spencer
- Teaser: “I weaken in the spring, at the knees, not the heart. I know what is coming, tiny buds, a warm, wild passing breeze through the pistil.”
The Scales / Compassionate, Trustworthy, Peacemaker / Disorganized, Materialistic, Indecisive
Bad news, my ever-balanced friend: May probably won’t be filled with spring fever for you. More bad news: Your current relationships are going to become more complicated than ever. Why, you might ask? Apparently, the universe chose you for some delightful chaos.
When you’re not shaking your fist at the sky, check out this absolutely stellar read:
- All the Stars, by Lori Sambol Brody
- Teaser: “The mountains were burning in Southern California, as they do, ash falling on the hood of his Range Rover as he backed me into the door, his knee between my thighs, the music from the club muted.”
The Scorpion / Purposeful, Charismatic, Cunning / Aggressive, Manipulative, Possessive
April was a bit wishy-washy for you, but May will be a full-steam-ahead kind of month. Revisit your New Year’s resolutions and embrace 2020 like it’s going out of style. If you’re lucky enough to work from home, then don’t hesitate to set a schedule for yourself. Those goals won’t reach themselves!
As a reward, read your lovely story pick for May:
- Mealtimes with Milly, by Leonie Rowland
- Teaser: “My order follows hers exactly: one large bowl of cheese ramen with a soft-boiled egg and a side of beef rice. I have been a vegetarian all my life, but Milly wouldn’t like that.”
The Archer / Straightforward, Optimistic, Adventurous / Careless, Impatient, Hotheaded
For you, the flavor of May is romance. You roped in a total cutie around the end of April. Continue the goodness with some Skype dates and scandalous texting—the works. I wouldn’t even blame you if you started singing in the shower (your roommates might, though).
Save this monthly read for when they’ve locked you in your room:
- The Structure of Shadows, by Mike Fox
- Teaser: “We both turned our attention to the half-formed figure on her bench. The limbs seemed to taper forward in what looked to me like a seeking gesture. I stroked it.”
The Mountain Sea-Goat / Traditional, Responsible, Ambitious / Unforgiving, Blunt, Pessimistic
Treat springy May as an opportunity to make up for lost time. You might prefer winter months, but when it comes to relationships, the season of love is your best friend (see what I did there?). Don’t give in to your responsible tendencies all the time. C’mon, I know you can do it!
Your reward is this eye-opening read:
- Robin Egg Blue, by Jenny Stalter
- Teaser: “Luke was a rock star. The honey of his song poured through him, into the microphone and out the speakers. Everyone worshiped him.”
The Water-Bearer / Intellectual, Open-Minded, Outgoing / Unpredictable, Self-Conscious, Chaotic
You might experience quarantine fever around the middle of the month. Combat it by taking time for yourself each day. Do the best that you can, even if that means getting out of bed. Cozy up with some coffee or tea and that embarrassing sweater you keep hidden in your sock drawer. You know the one.
Now, you’re ready to crack open this enthralling read.
- Engulfment, by Drew Coles
- Teaser: “The skeleton of the dream is always the same. The grain bin stands strong as the day it was built. An impossibly faint sound comes from inside. A single finger striking metal. From behind you comes the rumbling of an engine, growing until the ground vibrates. You’re rooted.”
The Fish / Charitable, Intuitive, Artistic / Timid, Impractical, Indolent
Let’s be honest: Last spring was rad. The bee’s knees. The best thing since sliced bread. This year is pretty different, though—fight the indoor blues with a new nest by your window, on your balcony, or in your backyard. Let the sun touch your skin while you immerse yourself in fabulous stories.
- Epilogue, by Carol M. Quinn
- Teaser: “Summer is strawberries and sangria and sunflowers, Teddy pulling rabbits from his hat and releasing butterflies from his upturned palms, and it will not work, it cannot work, because she cannot let it, because she has yet to pay.”