June Literary Horoscopes
Words By Alyssa Jordan, Art By Joana Coccarelli
The Ram / Courageous, Adventurous, Independent / Domineering, Selfish, Arrogant
I have good and not-so-great news for you this month. Let’s call it “good adjacent.” The first half of the month will be rough, but after June 16th, it’ll be smooth sailing without a cloud in sight. Until then, step up your game with some gal-pal dates of the Zoom, Skype, or FaceTime variety.
Don’t forget your story pick for June, either!
- Study in Chiaroscuro, by Carol A. Caffrey
- Teaser: “It was of a tree in winter, bare branches stretching towards the sky in something like supplication. So many freezing days in the forest trying to capture the light between the branches, the yearning in their stretch and reach.”
The Bull / Loyal, Friendly, Resourceful / Self-Indulgent, Possessive, Greedy
Sorry, Taurus. It’s time to confront some demons you’ve been dodging (tsk, tsk). Whether they’re in your personal or professional life, you need to face the music and curb your tendency to, well, self-indulge. We all hate confrontation, but still—you’re not getting out of this one.
To make up for the cloudy horoscope, check out this gorgeously written story:
- As Dark As Hunger, by S. Qiouyi Lu
- Teaser: “The tail of a fish flows seamlessly into the torso of a young woman, her arms threaded through mangrove roots. Her long, black hair, slimy with algae and the waste of birds that had roosted above her, is tangled in the branches.”
The Twins / Intelligent, Adaptable, Creative / Moody, Opportunistic, Inconsistent
I probably don’t need to tell you this, you opportunistic scene-stealer—I say that with love—but June is your month to shine! After a messy spring, you’re going to feel like a rock star over the summer. Razzle and dazzle them, darling. Put that creative mind to good use and go after what you want.
Treat yourself with this poem that lingers:
- Photograph of Judy, Holding Elk Heart (after photograph by Laura McPhee), by Susan Carlisle
- Teaser: “What is it makes us want / to hold a big wet heart / that just stopped beating?”
The Crab / Honest, Generous, Faithful / Insecure, Needy, Crabby
The daily grind might get to you within the first few weeks of June. Keep your chin up and remember that your time will come later in the month. So, party hardy with some good ol’ nesting at home (c’mon, you were going to do that anyway). In your shell, try to stay inspired with some creative exercises.
Speaking of inspiration, here’s your supernatural story pick for June:
- Did You See the Moon? by Bill Arnott
- Teaser: “Across the room was the warm-smiled woman who served me – us – years ago, looking just the same. Two lifetimes it’s been, and I look three times older.”
The Lion / Cheery, Noble, Imaginative / Demanding, Boastful, Melodramatic
You might have felt like a work zombie this past month, but June will be all about rest and relaxation! So order your favorite dessert, start a Netflix marathon, and step into your softest pair of sweats. Keep doing you till your favorite holiday rolls around. After all, those fireworks won’t set themselves.
First thing’s first, though: Check out the latest from Menacing Hedge.
- Teegarden’s Star, by Jack King
- Teaser: “He’d lost all sense of time, and didn’t know how long he’d been hanging upside down. He didn’t wear a watch. A car drove by. He could hear it but not see it. They didn’t stop.”
The Maiden / Practical, Diligent, Kind / Obsessive, Self-Righteous, Compulsive
Kudos on all that yoga and meditation you did in May (wink, wink). Now that you’ve given your future some serious thought, it’s time to dip your toes back into the present. Catch up with friends or family however you can—social distancing and masks, people—before treating yourself to something sweet, shiny, or stylish.
Consider this insightful story pick an added bonus.
- Clay-Filled Grave, by Joaquin Macias
- Teaser: “We dropped in an upstairs bedroom with walls covered in green and blue tapestries as bongs, blunts, and bowls were passed round and round and round. We half-knew everyone in the room, and they knew us collectively as the Bolanos twins.”
The Scales / Compassionate, Trustworthy, Peacemaker / Disorganized, Materialistic, Indecisive
June will be a tedious month of boredom for you. Try to distract yourself with a new book or passion project. You could also remedy this ennui with a classic upper: retail therapy! This deliciously bad habit could support local businesses, too.
For your story pick, we’re boarding a rocket ship to the past. Check out this downright lovely experimental piece:
- grounding exercise, by Samantha Nock
- Teaser: “take time out of worrying about things that aren’t written in the stars to daydream about your / favourite childhood memories. the good ones. like the time you were fishing in the creek with your dad.”
The Scorpion / Purposeful, Charismatic, Cunning / Aggressive, Manipulative, Possessive
No spoilers or anything, but you’re about to hit some hills in the romance department. Try to stabilize one of your relationships by examining the foundation. In the end, maybe you’ll need to rip out the carpet and lay some tile. Or spring for hardwood floors—I hear cherry oak is nice.
When you need to zone, I have the perfect treat for you.
- Fire and Flames, by Nick Hickman
- Teaser: “Most people don’t wish their house had burned down, but Ralph Herbertson did.”
The Archer / Straightforward, Optimistic, Adventurous / Careless, Impatient, Hotheaded
Last month was all about romance and Skype dates. June won’t be quite as fruitful, but it won’t slap you with any downers, either. Embrace the start of summer and reflect on your goals for the fall. I might be biased, but I have a feeling we’re about to hit your best months yet.
Celebrate with this engrossing read. It’ll grab you from the first line, satisfaction guaranteed.
- Unspoken Language, by Susan Watts
- Teaser: “The synchronization of words unspoken. The facial expressions, the twinkling in their eyes, the engagement of limbs, legs, lips, and satiation of food, wine, and cigarettes spoke volumes to anyone who observed their intimacy.”
The Mountain Sea-Goat / Traditional, Responsible, Ambitious / Unforgiving, Blunt, Pessimistic
May was all about embracing your inner wild child. I knew you had one, deep down (deep, deep down). You’ll need to think of June as “opposite day.” In other words, put on that responsibility cap, and prepare for a few clouds. Your personal life is safe, but your professional one could use a little polish.
Don’t miss your story pick, though. X-R-A-Y Literary Magazine has served another great dish:
- Hannah and Her Husband Used to Be Happy, by Jennifer Todhunter
- Teaser: “Hannah and her husband married on the edge of a river, fifty feet from the spot they’d chosen, and neither one of them noticed they were in the wrong place.”
The Water-Bearer / Intellectual, Open-Minded, Outgoing / Unpredictable, Self-Conscious, Chaotic
Last month, your quarantine fever reached new heights. You’ll feel much happier and calmer in June. Soak up as much sunshine as you can, whether that means a window garden or a daily walk (check your area’s regulations, first!).
Before you hit the pavement, though, crack open this truly unique read.
- The Wall Is a Horoscope, by Priyanka Sacheti
- Teaser: “The sun is in a black mood today: / a viscous coal corona / extending this way and that.”
The Fish / Charitable, Intuitive, Artistic / Timid, Impractical, Indolent
Don’t worry about any backhanded compliments you might hear in your social circle. After all, you’re fluent in sarcasm and burns. Plus, you’ll be rewarded for good behavior around the middle of the month. Not only will you have a breakthrough with your boss, but that latest hobby? You’re going to knock it out of the park.
Speaking of slam dunks, pull up this incredible story pick:
- Beehive, by Karen Gonzalez-Videla
- Teaser: “The constant exposure to honey had loosened her skin so much it resembled a damp sponge, and when she flexed her muscles, streams of honey oozed out of her limbs until she retched at the sweetness.”